Are you looking for ways to increase efficiency in the warehouse and drive down inventory costs? Does your business need to be more agile in reacting to changes in the market or requests from customers? Most likely, everyone will answer “yes” to these questions. One of the best ways to become more efficient in your warehouse is to implement mobile technology. Even if you are already using some mobile devices, you will find that improvements in technology offer even more advantages to your business. Integrated with ERP software like Sage, mobility can help your business be more agile. Improved business agility will enable you to drive down costs and increase revenue.
Mobile devices like radio frequency hand-held devices and barcode scanners have been used successfully in inventory management for some time to provide real-time information and product tracking. However, there is great opportunity in supply chain management to conduct business processes with mobile technology as well. Mobile devices and enterprise software like Sage 100 or Sage 500 can be used across the entire supply chain from the front to the back of the warehouse.
- Receiving: Capture inventory data from the point that it arrives in the dock. Using barcode technology, incoming shipments can be automatically verified against purchase orders and instructions sent to an employee’s mobile device
- Storage: Put-away is expedited by the system providing the best path to the right storage location or outbound location. Maintain visibility without the use of a paper trail
- Inventory Control: Replenishment is facilitated by hand-held mobile devices and barcode technology. Requests can be handled in seconds and workers directed to the right location by the quickest route
- Order Fulfillment: Picking operations are made more efficient with accurate order and storage information
- Packaging: Packaging operations can be automatic with error-free order validation
- Shipping: Shipments can be scanned, verified and staged for the proper truck
ERP mobility enables warehouse agility.
Using mobile technology with enterprise software, like Sage 100 or Sage 500, provides many benefits by automating and integrating processes to keep your entire company aligned and running smoothly.
- ERP mobility will save costs and improve efficiency. Mobile data collection sends real-time data into your ERP system, eliminating manual entry and reporting errors. Better data mean better inventory management and efficiency which in turn leads to lower costs and higher profitability
- Using mobile technology will result in improved performance and greater customer satisfaction. When you update and change information as it happens, replacing manually-intensive inventory processes, you can create value-added services and a seamless consumer buying experience.
Of course, there are challenges in implementing mobile technology to increase efficiencies in warehousing and distribution.
- Devices may not be made for the abuse of a warehouse environment. In some cases, more rugged devices will be needed. Careful selection and research need to go into choosing the right technology for each process. Next-generation tablets and smartphones offer a number of advantages; especially in cost, integration with other business systems, and the ability to visually communicate information
- Technology costs can be inhibitors for small to mid-sized companies. However, in many cases, personal mobile devices offer a cheaper solution to RFID devices or other rugged devices, especially in remote locations. Web-based software models can also offer cost-savings
- Mobile technology requires a cultural shift. With Sage mobility, managers can move out of their offices and onto the warehouse floor. They can roam the aisles with their devices and have access to information for real-time decision-making. As employees become more comfortable with technology in their personal lives, they will be able to make the shift
As you can see, mobile technology will continue to impact warehousing and distribution as technology changes and becomes more inexpensive. Emerald TC would like to help you meet your business goals to maximize efficiency and profitability. Whether you would like to add mobile warehouse solutions to your existing Sage 100 or Sage 500 installation, or if you would like to install an entire business software system, we can help you choose the best solution for your business. Contact us to get started.