Cloud ERP is something you’re probably hearing and reading a lot about, lately. By now, unless you’re living in a cave or under a rock, you know what the cloud is or at least have a vague understanding of cloud software. It’s software that you access over the internet, hosted on a variety of off-premises servers and accessible through subscription. Think of web hosting, social media, or Google docs; all are examples of cloud-hosted services.
Although cloud software is now commonplace, some companies waited to make the move from site-based software to the cloud. They may have worried that the cloud was a passing fad or that some hidden flaw would be discovered in the cloud model. So far, so good with the cloud—no big red flags are waving to warn us off shifting to cloud ERP.
If you’ve waited to transition to the cloud, we’ve got some tips, tricks, hints, and hacks for you to help you move smoothly through the transition and make the leap into the great blue cloud-filled yonder. Ready?
Cloud ERP Hints, Tips, and Hacks
First, let’s clear away some of the myths surrounding migrating to the cloud. It’s easy, yes, but not as easy as flipping a switch. You do need to do some preparatory work to ensure successful cloud ERP integration. The following hints, trips, and hacks will help you with a smooth transition from your existing accounting software to cloud-based ERP.
- Establish project goals: Establish goals for your ERP project.
- Build a cross-functional team: A team comprised of everyone who will use the ERP system can guide you through the process of choosing the right cloud ERP for your needs, identifying reports, and assessing data elements for the integration. Ideally, you also want to have a team leader who can coordinate with the ERP vendor and bring the team’s feedback to them, so they aren’t overwhelmed by speaking with multiple people on the team.
- Inventory your data: Take an inventory of your current data elements throughout all departments. Back up all data.
- Review processes: What business processes are you seeking to improve? Cloud ERP makes processes go faster, but making a bad process faster is just increasing the speed of frustration. Instead, look at how cloud ERP can help you
- Add extra time for project completion: Even if your best estimates indicate it will take X number of weeks for the cloud ERP transition, add on additional time. You never know what might come up along the way. Questions, additional scope of work, and minor glitches all take time to fix and even the easiest project has some level of challenges.
- Share information: Be sure to share all documentation, data dictionaries, and other information with your integration partner. The more information that is shared the better.
- Experience counts: Look for a cloud ERP vendor with a proven history of successful transitions for companies in similar industries. Ask for and check on references.
- Allocate time for training: In addition to allocating enough time for the integration, add on extra time for training. Group and individual training may be needed to help everyone who will use the system get up to speed on it.
- Vendor selection: Selecting the right vendor for your company’s transition to cloud ERP is important. It’s not just a question of finding an experienced vendor. It’s also a question of finding someone you feel comfortable with and can reach in case of questions. Take your time and get to know your vendor. Ask who will be your main point of contact moving forward and who will be conducting training. Get all in writing before proceeding.
Cloud ERP: Emerald TC
Emerald TC can help you with cloud ERP selection. We are an approved Acumatica Cloud ERP vendor and have a long and successful history of cloud transition with our customers. If you’re hesitating about using cloud ERP, we can assure you that Acumatica makes software so easy to use that companies find the adoption time less than they expect. Contact us or call 678-456-6919 for more information about Acumatica ERP.